All libraries in the Appalachian Regional Library system are closed to the public and public services staff until further notice. More information about services that are available are posted on each library’s page (see tabs below). Curbside pick-up has been cancelled through the end of April. Check your local library's website, Facebook page, or give them a call and leave a message for additional information. Please stay safe and well!
Watauga Library Endowment
The Watauga Library Endowment provides extra support for the Watauga County Public Library through private contributions. This support addresses needs and services not covered by government funding and helps make our library special. Gifts and donations to the Endowment, be they gifts of cash, securities, or other assets, has helped provide for non-funded efforts such as:
- Increasing the total book count to meet the norm of 2 books per county resident .
- Keeping current with electronic and computer technology so all county residents can be prepared for the changes of the 21st century.
- Providing ongoing financial support for access to the computerized library catalog
from home PC’s, and for computer hardware and software needed for increased internet access.
- Sponsoring of visiting authors and poets.
The Endowment invests all contributions and uses only the income from these investments. As a result, all donations continue to give FOREVER! The earnings on assets have provided benefits to the library. A contribution from you will increase the financial support that can be provided to the library. Recent Endowment support for the library included the following:
- DVDs for branch library.
- PC wireless system
- Patron PC print management system
- Upgrade of main nonfiction collection
- Patron checkout receipt printers
- Update of branch reference collection
- Softback book covering system
- Gates match for 17 computers
- Staff education
- Matching funds for Story Walk Grant
- Public Copier
- Youth popular titles for Emergent Readers
- Books for Battle of the Books contest
- Cypress Resume subscription
- Evelyn Johnson Scholarship Award
- Cash Register for Branch
- Security Cameras
- Scanner for Circulation
- Computer Chairs for Reference area
- Microsoft Licenses - technology upgrade
- Display stands to promote Storywalk
- Children's Furniture
- Wireless Ceiling Projector for Evelyn Johnson Meeting Room
- Laptop Charging Cart
- Children's Books
- 3 staff personal computers
- AWE early literacy station
- Matching funds for the Alphabet Ready Grant
- Youth Books
- Poster maker/large format printer
- Matching funds for the Alphabet Ready Grant, year 2
And, most recently (Fall of 2019):
Youth and Adult Books
Two Staff PCs
Voice Over IP Phone System for improved service and features, cost savings and regional efficiency.
The Endowment is an ongoing opportunity to sustain and nurture the library. Any gift to the Endowment is a gift that “keeps on giving,” as it multiplies and provides much needed funds to assist the Watauga County Public Library in its mission to the people it serves. The Watauga Library Endowment funds are administered through the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina. All contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
Gifts to the Watauga County Public Library Endowment may be cash, appreciated stocks, property, or a bequest.
Checks should be made out to CFWNC, with Watauga Library Endowment on the Memo line. Gifts may be given in memory of someone.
Further information is available in Endowment pamphlets which can be obtained at the Watauga County Public Library, 140 Queen St, Boone, NC 28607.