Appalachian Regional Library will be closed on Monday, January 20th in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
DATE LISTED: 12/18/2019
TITLE/CLASS: Youth Services Specialist (Library Specialist II)/Grade 7
Location: Wilkes County Public Library, North Wilkesboro, NC
SALARY: $11.18 per hour / 40 hours a week
Completion of at least two (2) years of college and three (3) years of public library experience; bachelor’s degree preferable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
An employee in this position assists the Youth Services Librarian in planning, organizing, promoting, and implementing the public library’s program of services for children and young adults in the county.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
· Develops, plans, and presents programs on and offsite as assigned by Youth Services Librarian
· Responsible for collection development of selected subject area(s) in Youth Services Department as assigned by Youth Services Librarian
· Plans, develops, and implements special projects for Youth Services Department as assigned
· Performs circulation functions as needed
· May serve as contact between public library and public/private/home schools (K-8) for class assignments, class visitations, etc.
· Supervises volunteers as directed by Youth Services Librarian
· Serves as coordinator of Arly as assigned: scheduling, updating websites, serving as handler, and marketing
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Ability to deal tactfully, courteously, and effectively with the public and other employees
· Ability to supervise volunteers effectively
· Ability to use computers and to provide instruction on computer use to patrons
· Effective verbal and written communication skills
· General knowledge of children’s and/or young adult literature as well as adult literature suitable for young people
· General knowledge of children’s and/or young adult media in a variety of formats
· General knowledge of the use and maintenance of various equipment (multimedia projector, laminator, etc.) required to perform duties of the Youth Services Department
· Knowledge of and ability to read books to individual or groups of children, young adults, and adults, and ability to maintain control of a large audience
· Knowledge of and ability to produce and use a variety of storytelling techniques including but not limited to flannel boards, puppets, props, etc. when and where appropriate
· Knowledge of and ability to use child related activities such as songs, games, fingerplays, and crafts in programming
· Ability to conduct reference and readers’ advisory interviews to assist patrons
· Ability to encourage reading through book talks to children, young adults, and parents
· Ability to plan, prepare, or produce programs with/for other child care providers, i.e. daycare workers, children’s literature classes, school librarians
· Possession of a valid driver’s license
AVAILABLE: February 3, 2020
APPLY BY: Apply by January 24, 2020
Please specify which position and location you are applying for. Email resume and cover letter to: hrwilkes(at)arlibrary(dot)org
Youth Services Specialist, temporary and part-time. Watauga County Public Library.
Assists Youth Services Librarian in planning, organizing, promoting, and directing the library's program of services for children and young adults.
Required: Bachelor’s degree, or completion of at least two (2) years of college and three (3) years of public library experience.
19 hrs./week @ $10 per hour. Position is available January 24 and will run until June 23, 2020
Open until filled.
Apply by sending a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com
For more information, call Judith Winecoff, 828-264-8784, Ext. 3